In this blog, we will explain Thinkific Alternatives. The onset of many great platforms to build your online school has made sure that teaching online and creating your own website is no longer a distant dream.
You don’t require a massive capital investment, and a great platform will make things as easy as possible for you.
Thinkific is one of the most famous well-known names in the online teaching industry but it’s not necessarily the best platform. They pride themselves on being one of the top online course creators, but many users now disagree. Let’s take a look at why.
What Thinkific Gets Wrong
- Support: They do not provide chat support to any of their users.
- Tech issues: Lack of complete white labeling and gamification makes your website appear dull and uninspired.
- Price: The pricing seems expensive when compared to other platforms. They don’t give refunds and just the starter membership price at $49 might deter a few right off the bat.
If you’re tired of the shortcomings of Thinkific and are looking for a better platform to create an online course, we list the top 5 Thinkific alternatives below. We’ll also be listing out their pros and cons, so you can make an informed decision about what’s best for you.
Top 5 Thinkific Alternatives
The number one Thinkific alternative is FreshLMS. This online school platform offers incredible customizability for you to host your online classes. And the best part – you won’t need to write a single line of code.
The user interface is very easy to understand, and you can create online courses in just 60 minutes. As an all-around online courses platform, you won’t have to worry about things like the safety of your content or any other technical problems. Their features alone will tell you why we think FreshLMS is the best place to teach online:
- A few clicks will get you started on your course creation journey
- Drag-and-drop course builder
- No learning curve for setting up payment integrations, drip content, and much more.
- Integrate with third-party apps like MailChimp, Zapier, etc.
- Complete white labeling without any coding.
- Memberships enablement without third-party integration
- Embed videos from Swarmify, Vooplayer, Wistia, Pccloud, Amazon S3
- Break down lessons into chapters, sections, and modules
- Custom domain for each course
- Choose from worldwide languages for your content
- No commission fees
- Unlimited storage with the starter plan
- Unlimited lessons and students
- Customized certificates and statistics about the progress of students
- Advanced quiz making and virtual classroom experience
- Distribute discount coupon codes (both bulk and one time)
- Advanced Affiliate Management to turn your customers into a sales team.
- Price: When compared to almost all other platforms, FreshLMS’s prices look like a bargain. The monthly charges are as follows:
- Free: $0
- Starter: $39
- No Brainer: $79
- Support: 24/6 call and chat support are provided to anyone using the platform, even those using just the free plan. Instant chat and call support is also provided if you ever need them. Which you probably won’t!
- New features addition: Constant new features will make sure you never run out of ways to customize your website. Frequent feature update emails will tell you all you need to know so that you’re always updated about what to include in your next online class.
- Migration support: If you’re a yearly plan subscriber, the concierge service will migrate your website for you. Making sure that you don’t have to go through the painstaking process of uprooting your website.
- Tech elements: You’ll seamlessly be able to accept your payments through Paypal and Stripe, without having to use a third-party app. SSL security will be taken care of, and you can also have your own custom domain.
- Ease of use: You don’t need to have any technical knowledge before you set out to use FreshLMS. The interface is extremely intuitive and easy to grasp.
Teachable is one of the most widely known online teaching platforms. With over $1 billion in sales from courses, online teachers swear by the efficacy of this platform. The interface feels similar to Thinkific but provides better features. A focus on video-driven content makes sure your courses always stand out and users can engage better.
- Link existing websites to teachable under a custom domain
- Unlimited lessons and students
- Integrated email marketing and affiliate marketing
- Work with a team while Teachable manages their permissions and roles and pays them
- Live one-on-one lessons and call hostings
- Payments accepted in 130+ currencies
- Price: It’s cheaper to get started on this platform as compared to Thinkific. The monthly charges are:
- Basic: $39
- Pro: $119
- Business: $299
- User experience: You can easily customize your sales and check-out pages. The drag and drop course builder will help you make your first course in no time. Teachable doesn’t make using its platform complicated, which is great for you if you’re just starting out with your online academy.
- New features addition: They regularly update their payment gateways and roll out new features every month. So you’ll never feel stranded since the innovation keeps coming in.
- Tech elements: Automatic SSL certification, Stripe, and Paypal payment gateways, content security. They have it all to help you go live.
- Support: Call support isn’t available and basic members don’t get access to live chat support. To receive live chat, you’ll have to pay for the “pro” membership.
- Migration service: There are no migration services offered by Thinkific. You’ll have to rely on third-party apps if you’re looking to migrate.
LearnDash is a WordPress plugin, so if you already have a website on WordPress, there’s absolutely no reason why you shouldn’t give it a go. It’ll make things easier for you since you won’t have to migrate your website anywhere. You can also access the library of add-ons available on WordPress, however, you might have to pay for some of them.
- SEO optimization with Yoast SEO
- Drag-and-drop course builder
- Drip-feed content
- Advanced quiz making with multiple question types and custom messages
- Easily integrate with partners like Mailchimp, Stripe, Paypal, Slack, Zapier
- Detailed reporting on enrollment, progress, and performance
- Pricing: Since LearnDash is a WordPress plugin, their charges are considerably cheaper on paper. We say on paper because you’ll eventually end up spending more than their yearly charges for premium add-ons to inculcate SSL certificates and security to your website. Yearly charges are:
- Basic: $159
- Plus: $189
- Pro: $329
- Ease of use: Build your courses easily, on your existing WordPress website. The drag and drop course and progress tracking analytics help get things flowing in no time.
- Support: Despite providing support to every user despite what plan they’re on, the queries are sometimes not responded to as quickly as you’d hope. The high-paying members would at least expect their emails to be responded to as quickly as possible.
- Tech elements: You’ll have to get your own SSL certificate, and adding payment gateways through add-ons may prove to be a hassle.
- New features addition: They rely on add-ons to meet your needs, and do not release new features briskly. Using way too many add-ons on WordPress can make your website slow.
- Migration service: They do not provide migration services.
Kartra is essentially a marketing platform that helps you sell your courses while making it easy for you to teach online. Users can avail themselves of advanced features like automated email marketing, affiliate management, and statistical analysis of your growth. Track your progress and figure out your next steps, all backed by data.
- Automates SMS/email marketing campaigns
- Video marketing with adding offers midway in your videos and pre and post CTAs
- customize every page of your website with Kartra page builder
- Kartra leads acts as a CRM to help you build leads, prospects, and customers
- Build funnel flows and campaigns
- A drag-and-drop membership portal builder
- Ease of use: Kartra makes it easy to use features like automated email marketing, funnel building, and takes care of all your sales statistics.
- Tech elements to help you go live: This platform specializes in building your landing pages, providing SSL certificates, and taking care of your content.
- Migration service: Kartra will offer concierge services for an additional fee, so you won’t have nightmares about migrating your entire website yourself.
- Price: It’ll cost you quite a bit if you want an all-in-one online marketing solution for your online business. The monthly prices are as follows:
- Starter: $99
- Silver: $199
- Gold: $299
- Platinum: $499
- New feature addition: While they do already provide a plethora of features, their update blog seems to be struggling to find updates to report.
- Support: The starter plan will get you to support from 1 “helpdesk”, while the silver plan members receive support from unlimited “helpdesks”.
The “complete online business platform” provides you with everything you’d ever need to take your business to the next level. Marketing tools, white-labeling, custom domains, payment handling, the list goes on. Kajabi is widely considered one of the best platforms to build your online school because of how it seemingly takes care of everything for you.
- One-click marketing sequences with pipeline marketing automation
- SEO optimized blog creations for your website
- Customized certificates
- Gated content that requires a subscription to avail
- Build email lists with landing page viewers contact information
- Ability to use segmentation to send customized emails to different groups of users in your list
- Ease of use: Their bucketload of features may seem daunting at first glance, but Kajabi has made sure they’re all extremely easy to use. You won’t need any technical knowledge to even track all your customer statistics.
- Tech elements: The servers always seem to be running smoothly, and making a backup is just a few clicks away. The SSL certification will be completed in no time and your content will always be secure, far away from any piracy-keen hackers.
- Price: It definitely is one of the best tools for your online academy, but quality comes at a price. There is no free plan, and the monthly prices are listed below:
- Basic: $149
- Growth: $199
- Pro: $399
- Migration service: They do not provide any migration services, so you’ll have to figure out how to migrate your website through third-party applications.
- Support: The lack of phone support and no 24/7 chat support (unless you’re on the “growth” membership) make their support a con in our eyes. There’s only so much email support can do for you if you’re having troubles in your online class.
- New feature addition: They do provide updates once every 2 months, but when compared with other online teaching schools, this seems rather slow at best.
If you’re looking to settle the debate for the Thinkific alternative you should go for, look no further than our number one pick, FreshLMS. As the only platform in our list without any cons, the only reason you’ll be contacting their support would be to tell them how good their product is.
Fresh LMS lets you transform your knowledge into an online school. Start creating your online courses and launch your online academy in less than 60 mins.6